I’m feeling sick and grumpy today. Got a vile cold and aren’t fit company for man or beast. Anyway, thought I needed a bit of perspective on – yup, you guessed it – waiting. Here’s a quick list for you:
1. Penelope waited 20 years for Odysseus to return.
2. Pharaoh Kufu waited 20 years for the Great Pyramid at Giza to be built.
3. The average wait time for a new heart is 6 months (UK).
4. The Count of Monte Cristo was in prison for 14 years.
5. Heathcliff was away from Catherine for 3 years.
6. It takes 6 months to become a New Zealand citizen.
7. It took JK Rowling’s agent a year to find a publisher for her Harry Potter manuscript.
8. The Israelites spent 40 years wandering.
9. Getting to Mars would take between 7 and 9 months depending on how fast you were travelling.
10. Keri Hulme (NZ writer) spent 10 years writing her Booker Prize winning novel, The Bone People.
In comparison, my ms has been in London for 9 weeks, which is no time at all. Nuff said, I think.
Oh, and the above facts may or may not be true – my research could be (and probably is!) highly suspect.