Why am I nervous? Because I’ve heard from the editor that I’ve been working with and she’s told me that she should be getting to my partial in the next couple of weeks. Argh!!! And I’ve gone from impatient waiting to nervous twitching instead. Perhaps it’s nicer not knowing. Because when you don’t know, you can entertain all kinds of wonderful thoughts such as they love it so much they want your full manuscript instantly. Or that they offer you a fifty book contract on the spot. Or just that they like it but they want you to change a few things. I’d be happy with anything that isn’t a flat-out no at this stage. 🙂
The problem is that I’ve learned heaps in the past six months. Especially the past three. Which means that the partial I sent three months ago is probably not the partial I would send now. Sigh. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I ‘think’ the conflict is okay – certainly the character biographies I sent through were approved of – so that should help, but ultimately you never know until the editor gives you the magic yes. I still like my partial, I still think it was good. There are things I would change now but that’s just to do with pace. In spite of all of that, I may get the flat-out no. And in which case – here’s the important thing – I do have another manuscript ready to go. I’m not giving up until I get the ‘please do not submit to us again’ letter*.
No retreat, no surrender right?
*Note: There is no such letter (that I know of). 🙂