Nothing new to report here. Just twiddling my thumbs. Actually that’s a lie, I started a new story. Bad, bad Jackie. I have two stories at the partial stage and one with a first chapter done so those really need finishing – I shouldn’t be starting a new one! But y’know, when the new story bug hits, ya just gotta go with it.
I haven’t written a linked story before but I got kind of inspired after Maisey wrote one. In my current wip my hero has a younger sister. She appeared in an earlier iteration of this story so I know her quite well – she’s an unusual sort of girl. Anyway, in the wip, her part is reduced to a phone call so I was kind of feeling a bit sorry we don’t see more of her, and when Maisey wrote a story concerning a younger sister I thought why not? But I’ll have to get rid of some things first – she’s 18 in the wip so I’ll have to advance time for her (as you do when you are the god of your character’s world), and she has a blue mohawk and an eyebrow piercing so I’ll have to get rid of those as well. She can keep playing drums for a gothic metal band though and she’s definitely keeping her talent with the violin too. This all could mean she’s a tad too quirky but hey, will give it a go and see what happens. Interesting to create a story out of a past that’s already set and unchangable. And interesting creating a hero for someone whose character can’t be altered too much. I usually create both in tandem with each other so this is a new experience. But a good one. Now all I have to do is think of a plot! 😉
In the meantime I have been award the Honest Scrap Award by the lovely Kerrin. I have to list ten things you may not know about me. So here they are:
1. I did fencing at university. Once. After a long afternoon at the pub.
2. I love poetry, especially ee cummings and TS Eliot.
3. I have a BA in English (no I do NOT plan to be a teacher – not that there is anything wrong with that).
4. I wrote my first romance when I was 13. The heroine was called Patricia and the hero was married to her sister. It was full of the kind of angst and torture that only 13 year old girls can possibly imagine or indeed be interested in.
5. I once entered a singing competition. The other contestants wore evening gowns. I wore Doc Martens and leggings. I did not win.
6. I got engaged in Prague, on the banks of the river. A saxophone was playing ‘Autumn Leaves’ nearby and afterwards we went to an ice hockey game to celebrate.
7. When I’m not reading romance, I’m reading SF and fantasy, especially anything by Iain M Banks.
8. I hated Titanic and also Twilight (don’t shoot me).
9. I loved Star Wars (but only the first trilogy).
10. My plans for world domination are proceeding nicely.
I have to nominate some bloggers for this award but I think it’s been around a bit so I’m going to pike out and say that if you haven’t done it yet, it’s your turn! 🙂